Re: Re: asynchronous launch of a script

On Jun 26, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:

On 6/26/2011 7:58 PM, Jim Giner wrote:
You mean - you want a second thread to run independently of your current "running" script? A wonderful thing to do and helpful for long intenesive processes but do you really want to go thru the hassles of managing two processes? Won't you have to verify the results of your offshoot and react to unexpected circumstances? Otherwise, what are you doing that would not
require such complex management?

Having an OpenBSD server I use a thing called nohup.

I have a shell script that starts/stops things for me

nohup /usr/bin/ssh -2 -N -f -L $L_IP:$L_PORT:$R_IP:$R_PORT root@localhost 1>/dev/null

This starts a ssh tunnel port forwarding for me with a from and to port assignment.

But, one crucial thing you haven't told us is what OS you are trying to do this on.

Jim

Wow, that's really getting complex. All I want is for a php script to get launched and the calling script to return immediately. I don't necessarily have to know or care when the called script ends, just want the user to get an immediate return instead of waiting around for the lengthy script to run. I'm not talking AJAX or anything like that where the page depends on the eventual output from the called script.