Re: Re: asynchronous launch of a script

On 6/26/2011 7:58 PM, Jim Giner wrote:
You mean - you want a second thread to run independently of your current
"running" script?  A wonderful thing to do and helpful for long intenesive
processes but do you really want to go thru the hassles of managing two
processes?  Won't you have to verify the results of your offshoot and react
to unexpected circumstances?  Otherwise, what are  you doing that would not
require such complex management?

Having an OpenBSD server I use a thing called nohup.

I have a shell script that starts/stops things for me

nohup /usr/bin/ssh -2 -N -f -L $L_IP:$L_PORT:$R_IP:$R_PORT root@localhost 1>/dev/null

This starts a ssh tunnel port forwarding for me with a from and to port assignment.

But, one crucial thing you haven't told us is what OS you are trying to do this on.

Jim