this newsgroup and OE

Perhaps someone can tell me the secret to getting problem-free access to the
php newsgroups using OE.  I have two other newsgroup servers configured in
OE which do not give me any difficulties at all.  My setup for news.php.net
however gives me nothing but problems.  Inability to connect to messages,
long delays during normal polling for new items that hangs up my normal mail
traffic, etc.  Right now, OE indicates two new messages in the php.general
list, but I cannot download them at this time because OE says it cannot
connect (oops - just went to get the text of the message and now OE has been
able to connect).

Some of the details of my config:
server name: php.new.net
port #: 119
timeouts: 30 secs.

nothing else in particular set up - same as my other "working" newsgroup
accounts.

Thanks in advance.