Re: Doctrine madness!

On 6/17/2011 12:23 PM, Eric Butera wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 6/16/2011 3:15 PM, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
>>> what it really amounts to is php is good at doing 1 thing and 1 thing only,
>>> generating web pages.  for anything else, including command line scripts
>>> that run for more than 30 seconds, choose an actual programming language or
>>> be prepared to deal w/ hacky, disgusting workarounds.
>>>

>> Nathan,
>>
>> I would have to disagree with your statement about using PHP for applications
>> that take more then 30 seconds or CLI scripts.
>>
>> I have a daemon (read: scripts) that I wrote using PHP.  It listens on a few UDP
>> sockets and maintains an open connection to mysql.  It receives server updates
>> and other client requests for data.  When it receives a client update it updates
>> a couple tables in mysql.  When it receives a request from a server for data, it
>> goes to mysql gets all needed data, compiles it into the format requested and
>> sends it down the wire.
>>
>> This daemon starts when my system starts up.  As of this morning it has been
>> running non stop since Feb 28th (about 108 days).  Between then and now it has
>> received over 35M server updates and over 1.8M client requests.  I think it gets
>> used a bit.
>>
>> So, to say that doing anything with PHP that takes longer then 30 seconds to
>> complete will require you to use hacky and disgusting workarounds is false.
>>
>> I have no hacks nor disgusting workarounds in my scripts.  Combined the scripts
>> total about 200 lines, over half of which is either comments or vertical white
>> space.
>>
>> It has been running pretty much non-stop since August 2007 with minimal
>> maintenance needed.
>>
>> Jim Lucas
>>

> Hello,
>
> Impressive stats and has me a bit intrigued!  Just out of curiosity,
> does your daemon use a heavy amount of object orientation in it or is
> it mostly procedural codebase?
>

> Regards

Nathan,

It is strictly procedural code.

The basic concept of the code is that it starts up, and opens a connection to
MySQL.  Then using stream_socket_*() functions connects to a UDP sockets and
waits for data.  Once it receives data, it figures out what the request was for.
 Now, at this point, it pushed some data to MySQL, or it grabs the entire
contents of the DB tables and formats it to return to the client.

All along the way, I have debug statements that get sent to a log file in
/var/log/...

I currently have a CPU usage time of 435hrs 20.74minutes and memory usage of
just over 6MB.  Most of which is PHP itself.

Jim