Re: Doctrine madness!

On 6/16/2011 3:15 PM, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> what it really amounts to is php is good at doing 1 thing and 1 thing only,
> generating web pages.  for anything else, including command line scripts
> that run for more than 30 seconds, choose an actual programming language or
> be prepared to deal w/ hacky, disgusting workarounds.

Nathan,

I would have to disagree with your statement about using PHP for applications
that take more then 30 seconds or CLI scripts.

I have a daemon (read: scripts) that I wrote using PHP.  It listens on a few UDP
sockets and maintains an open connection to mysql.  It receives server updates
and other client requests for data.  When it receives a client update it updates
a couple tables in mysql.  When it receives a request from a server for data, it
goes to mysql gets all needed data, compiles it into the format requested and
sends it down the wire.

This daemon starts when my system starts up.  As of this morning it has been
running non stop since Feb 28th (about 108 days).  Between then and now it has
received over 35M server updates and over 1.8M client requests.  I think it gets
used a bit.

So, to say that doing anything with PHP that takes longer then 30 seconds to
complete will require you to use hacky and disgusting workarounds is false.

I have no hacks nor disgusting workarounds in my scripts.  Combined the scripts
total about 200 lines, over half of which is either comments or vertical white
space.

It has been running pretty much non-stop since August 2007 with minimal
maintenance needed.

Jim Lucas