Re: Re: A Review Request

On 18 May 2011 23:28, Tim Streater <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18 May 2011 at 22:22, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 18 May 2011 23:12, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> This is just one way to give-back.
>>
>> Suggesting people that they copypaste your code is a very bad way of
>> giving back. Suggesting that they read and understand the code is a
>> great way. I hope you see the difference.
>
> Not obvious. If I have copy/pasted code and it hasn't worked, that's been no-one's fault but mine, and I've then gone back and looked at it more carefully. Any example given on the web, seems to me, is likely to be copy/pasted unless you take steps to make it not possible.

I personally don't care if someone comes back whining to Tedd after
copypasting the code. I would think it sad but it doesn't affect me as
such. What I do care about are the people that will mindlessly
copypaste the code, get it into halfworking state mixed with some
other strange stuff that they picked up from some other site, then
throw the whole together on a server and start telling their friends
how awesomely easy php is and that they should just copypaste *their*
code (not Tedd's because his only does a bit of the job).

As is probably clear by now, in my opinion it would be much better to
go the motions of the script a bit at a time, with comments of *why*
things are done (not *what* is done) - and why you really should spend
a bit more time learning about security, because if you copypaste
Tedd's script and just change the password to 'mypass', you won't have
learned a thing even as your script is bruteforced in 2 seconds flat.

Anyway, I doubt I have much more to add to this so I'll refrain from it.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>