Re: Bold links

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ted, you said:

> First, never use <B> -- or <I> for that matter.

Micky pointed out the changes in HTML5, linking to an HTML5 Doctor Article
noting the new semantics of the <i> and <b> tags:

>http://html5doctor.com/i-b-em-strong-element/

You brought your authority:

> ...my information/position stems from my understanding derived from both
> daily practice and constant reading. In addition to reading links like the
> above (which I read  btw), I also read several list provided by disability
> concerns, such as "webdev.lists.d.umn.edu" being the best. In addition to
> all that, I also read several technical books each week re these subjects.

> For example, within this last month I've purchased and read HTML5 by
> Lawson, Smashing CSS by Meyer, 100 Things by Weinschenk, Learning Web Design
> by Robbins, Designing with the Mind in Mind by Johnson, Forms that work by
> Jarret, Build your own web site the right way by Lloyd, PHP 5.3 by Doyle,
> and Expert PHP and MySQL by Cuniosoa.  That's a lot of reading, -- so I
> think I keep up with what's going on.

I pointed out that many of us read a great deal, and that the one source you
cited specifically covering HTML5 speaks directly to the use of the <b> (and
<i>) tags within HTML5.

Additionally, let me say that the Lawson-Sharp book you mentioned is a great
read. I also think that HTML5 Doctor (Micky's source) is a great read. HTML
Doctor is a collaboration which includes both Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp:
http://html5doctor.com/about/

I provided links to the HTML5 spec (draft):

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-i-element

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-b-element

My position can be summarized as below:

   1. I will try to follow the HTML5 spec (as it is now, and with the
   changes that occur when finalized):
   http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html
   2. The HTML5 spec has given semantic meanings to the i and b tags, making
   them media-independent (nice summaries below, including the link Micky
   pointed to initially):
   http://html5doctor.com/your-questions-16/
   http://html5doctor.com/i-b-em-strong-element/
   3. If one works through the other possible options (the spec points out
   many other tags that may be more appropriate) and the b or i tag still is
   the best fit, they should use it.
   4. Of great importance, *I'm not advocating using the b or i tags for
   presentation purposes!* Rather, consistent with my earlier emails, I'm
   advocating their use for the situations outlined in the spec, when the
   semantics can enhance the markup (which is intended to eventually enhance
   the experience of those utilizing text-to-speech software.)

   Many prominent CSS resets have for some time zeroed out the visual
   styling of i and b tags, including Meyer's:
   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/

   The use of the tag is now one of semantics, NOT PRESENTATION. The spec
   even points out:
   Style sheets can be used to format
i<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-author-view/the-i-element.html#the-i-element>
elements,
   just like any other element can be restyled. Thus, it is not the case that
   content in i<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-author-view/the-i-element.html#the-i-element>
elements
   will necessarily be italicized.

*
*
If you want to chat more about this topic, Tedd, you can email off list or
we can meet up for a beer (although not this week, my wife is expecting any
time ;)

Adam

--
Nephtali:  A simple, flexible, fast, and security-focused PHP framework
http://nephtaliproject.com