Re: Bold links

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 13:46 -0400, Adam Richardson wrote:

> Hi Tedd,
>
> How's it going? I'm very pleased with the emphasis on accessibility you
> bring to the PHP list, but I do believe you're overstating a few points
> below.
>

> > So, allow me to bring mine -- my information/position stems from my
> > understanding derived from both daily practice and constant reading. In
> > addition to reading links like the above (which I read  btw), I also read
> > several list provided by disability concerns, such as "
> > webdev.lists.d.umn.edu" being the best. In addition to all that, I also
> > read several technical books each week re these subjects.
> >

> I'm thankful you've had the chance to inform your perspective on
> development.
>

> > For example, within this last month I've purchased and read HTML5 by
> > Lawson, Smashing CSS by Meyer, 100 Things by Weinschenk, Learning Web Design
> > by Robbins, Designing with the Mind in Mind by Johnson, Forms that work by
> > Jarret, Build your own web site the right way by Lloyd, PHP 5.3 by Doyle,
> > and Expert PHP and MySQL by Cuniosoa.  That's a lot of reading, -- so I
> > think I keep up with what's going on.
> >

> Of the above books, which actually speaks to semantically appropriate
> markup, and of that subset, which actually references the rationale for the
> change in semantics of the <b> tag? And, of that subset, which argues
> against using the <b> and <i> tags as recommended in the editors draft?
>
> I know that the Lawson book you mentioned references the <b> tag on 59, but
> it does not disparage it's use (rather, it provides an example of the
> appropriate use under (X)HTML5.) So that source would seem to support the
> use of the <b> when semantically appropriate, just as Pilgram's book does.
>
> The rest of the list does show you've read a fair amount in the past month
> (just as others on this list, including me), but what does it do to
> specifically support your argument?
>

> > While it is true that html5 brought back tags such as <b> and <i>, but it
> > has also brought back <table> for presentation. I leave the reader (and the
> > future) to judge the wisdom of that decision.
> >

> The discussion is not about the table element's role attribute in (X)HTML5,
> the discussion was centered on the specific change to the meaning of the <b>
> tag. Even if the table tag implementation is questionable, that does not
> mean all of the new semantics for the <b> are questionable. Each feature
> stands on its own merits.
>

> > I think we all realize the problems that these tags bring to the table (no
> > pun intended). We can either continue to resolve the problems they present
> > or we can resort back to the way things were.
> >

> Again, the <table> tag was not the discussion. How would you markup text
> that should be "stylistically offset from the normal prose without conveying
> any extra importance...?" You could choose to use a span tag. However, I
> would, following the W3C quote above, choose to use the <b> tag as HTML5
> [...]

I've read this thread right through and I have to agree with Tedd. The
new HTML5 spec might say it's fine to use <b> and <i> now for certain
cases, but I still would use <strong> and <em> for the majority of those
and other markup where else I could.

Consider the example which started this thread. It was merely to make
part of a name bold. Here is how I probably would have marked it up to
give it a semantic meaning:

Easy to style however I wanted, easy to read the code and infer the
meaning, and I believe there are things out there which digest content
and make rudimentary attempts to decipher the meaning from simple
classes such as these. In-fact, it was from simple class definitions
like these that led to the creation of the new tags in HTML5 such as
<footer> and <nav>. I feel it's only a matter of time before more tags
are added to the mix (within limits of course, we don't want to remember
a list of a million tags every time we fire up our editors to create
something!) to make things even more semantic. For me, accessibility is
only a hop away from semantics, so I try to avoid what I consider "bad"
markup wherever I can. Although, as others have said, what is bad is
largely, in part, down to user preference.

--
Thanks,
Ash