From: Adam Richardson [mailto:simpleshot@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:57 AM
To: PHP-General
Subject: Re:  Bold links

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 1:39 PM -0400 5/7/11, <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> <?php global $current_user;
>>       get_currentuserinfo();
>>
>>       echo 'Welcome &nbsp;<B>' . $current_user->user_firstname .
"</B>\n";
>>       echo '<B>' . $current_user->user_lastname . "</B>\n";
>> ?>
>>
>> Richard L. Buskirk
>>

> Really?
>
> How does the blind via readers, such as JAWS, understand what a <B> is?
>
> First, never use <B> -- or <I> for that matter.
>
> Second, use <strong> or <em> instead. Readers can understand and render
> STRONG and EMPHASIZED text, but not <B> and <I> text -- those tags mean
> nothing and that's the reason why they are not encouraged for use and even
> removed from XHTML.
>
> Third, if neither of those tags (i.e., <strong> or <em> ) work for you,
> they try using a class (or an id) with a css rule of:

Ted is right that the teaching in (X)HTML for the past several years has
been to avoid use of <b> and <i> tags, essentially replacing them with
<strong> and <em> tags, respectively.

However, (X)HTML5 is changing the semantics of the <b> and <i> tags so
they're use is again being encouraged (when appropriate):
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-i-element
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-b-element

<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-b-element>The intention is
to improve the semantics available to web developers, with one of the hopes
being that these nuanced differences will eventually enhance the experience
of those who are using screen readers.

So, while I don't necessarily recommend using a lot of <b> and <i> tags now,
it's likely that in the near future their use will again be encouraged as
HTML5 becomes better supported.

Adam

--
Nephtali:  A simple, flexible, fast, and security-focused PHP framework
http://nephtaliproject.com