Installing on a Mac: include_path issues

Hey, folks -- --

I am switching over my development (I hope) to a Mac. Having some
trouble with the configuration. Rudimentary scripts run fine in the
document_root, but beyond that, my scripts in the include_path are not
found.

The include_path has a couple of directories in which I have my
foundation classes and a clients application classes and other
programs. For various reasons, I put them into my "Documents/Clients"
folder. When I create to set the path to these files in PHP, they are:

 /Users/ken/Documents/Clients/comped_php
 /Users/ken/Documents/Clients/jaguar_php

PHP doesn't find them, which has me stumped.

php.ini shows the include_path correctly, as:
  /Users/ken/Documents/Clients/comped_php:/Users/ken/Documents/Clients/jaguar_php

the document_root, configured in Apache is: /Users/ken/Sites/

The errors show as:
include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'smm_header.php' for
inclusion (include_path='/Users/ken/Documents/Clients/comped_php:/Users/ken/Documents/Clients/jaguar_php')
in /Users/ken/Sites/smm_registration/smmcomputereducation.php on line
1

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken