Opensuse 11.4 - PHP returned as text?

I'm trying to debug an issue which I think is more to do with Apache
than PHP, but perhaps someone else has experience with this. Using
opensuse 11.4, custom compile of kernel 2.6.38, custom compile of
Apache httpd 2.2.17, and PHP 3.3.6. phpinfo() page works correctly so
my httpd.conf is configured to deal with PHP.

Using a plain .php file which contains a form with only a submit
button, at first the browser loads the .php correctly. Then click
submit in the form, and the browser asks me if I want to open or
download and save locally the .php file I have requested. This is
disturbing since it is potentially a security issue.

1. This only happens with method=POST. method=GET works correctly.
2. Using the same form as an .html file, same failure, so it is not
directly connected to PHP. I have posted an issue with Apache (50978)
but no response yet.
3. Custom kernel and httpd in Opensuse 11.3 worked correctly. I have
posted a question with Opensuse forums but no response.

Is anyone successfully using a custom compile of Apache+PHP with
Opensuse 11.4?