Re: Overriding session length in existing session?

On 03/04/2011 05:37 AM, Marc Guay wrote:
> Howdy.  Don't sessions expire when the browser closes as a rule?  Do
> you mean the session cookie?  Why not store the cookie, if one exists,
>  in a $_SESSION variable in your header file and then refer to that in
> the rest of your code, rather than the cookie.  Then when you want to
> destroy the session cookie, you can overwrite it and the existing
> session will still flow using the $_SESSION vars until the browser
> closes.
>
> It's early here, I hope that sort of makes sense and that I've at
> least sort of understood the problem.

I'm setting my session cookies, and my session data on the server to
expire X days in the future. That's set globally in my header.php file.
When the use logs in it stores their login information in the session
and it's good for 7 days. I have an option on the login page "public
terminal" that I want to make clear the session on browser close. The
problem is that I've already (in header.php) told the session cookie
that it's good for 7 days. I was just trying to override that already
established session cookie.

- Scott