Re: No SMTP server? Can't get mail()

Paul S wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:40:25 +0700, David Robley <robleyd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Paul S wrote:
>>> I'm a little new to PHP.
>
> David starts:
>> Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but the SMTP info is only needed on a
>> Win
>> system. The following is an extract from a default php.ini file:
>>

> Well, I have just RTF mail() Manual and you are ABSOLUTELY correct SMTP
> info is not needed for PHP mail(). SORRY for that confusion.
>
> Where my confusion started, I guess, and why I was trying to get
> confirmation of the SMTP server name
> and try mail() at the same time was the mention of both in a "SMTP" option
> in the default php config.php
> file for the email list program that I am trying to get running, as
> follows ...
>
> <begin quote># If you want to use the PHPMailer class from
> phpmailer.sourceforge.net, set the following
> # to 1. If you tend to send out html emails, it is recommended to do so.
> define("PHPMAILER",1);
>
> # To use a SMTP please give your server hostname here, leave it blank to
> use the standard
> # PHP mail() command.
> define("PHPMAILERHOST",'');"<end quote>

This gives you the option to use mail() (not SMTP) on the localhost - i.e
the server where the script is running, probably your ISP or hosting
company;

or;

to set the MAILERHOST to an external mail server using SMTP, maybe gmail,
yahoo mail, the mail provided by your ISP

> I'm still confused! :-( I can't even put my confusion into words hahahaha.
>
> Is it SMTP server that uses sendmail or sendmail uses an SMTP server???

Not going there if you are as fresh to the Internet as your question
suggests :-)

> PHPMAILER doesn't need an SMTP server name?
>
> OK, I've just googled PHPMAILERHOST and see "confusing" a few times. I
> will follow it from here for now.
>
>> mail() should be functional; if mail() is returning true then your next
>> step
>> in the debug process would be to check the mail logs, if they are
>> accessible to you.
>
> Well, I am glad you agree!
>
> no access that I know of.
> No telnet.
> and
> no helpful replies from the staff, ever
> and
> No PHPINFO and no echo of even what Apache server version I am using (see
> blocked info in my post above)
> RANT: I could put just this whole project aside by just using an old v.
> simple emaillist program that uses mail().! I'm about to give up here.
>

>> On the other hand, using an SMTP class will give you a bit more
>> functionality.
>>

> I'll check SMTP classes out. Thank you.

phpMailer is an SMTP class :-) See also swiftmail, and probably quite a few
others. Generally they will handle both sending mail from the localhost -
where the script is, mail() - or a remote SMTP host.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Happiness is finding special characters .
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177.