Re: No SMTP server? Can't get mail()

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:40:25 +0700, David Robley <robleyd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul S wrote:
I'm a little new to PHP.

David starts:
Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but the SMTP info is only needed on a Win
system. The following is an extract from a default php.ini file:

Well, I have just RTF mail() Manual and you are ABSOLUTELY correct SMTP info is not needed for PHP mail(). SORRY for that confusion.

Where my confusion started, I guess, and why I was trying to get confirmation of the SMTP server name and try mail() at the same time was the mention of both in a "SMTP" option in the default php config.php file for the email list program that I am trying to get running, as follows ...

<begin quote># If you want to use the PHPMailer class from phpmailer.sourceforge.net, set the following
# to 1. If you tend to send out html emails, it is recommended to do so.
define("PHPMAILER",1);

# To use a SMTP please give your server hostname here, leave it blank to use the standard
# PHP mail() command.
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'');"<end quote>

I'm still confused! :-( I can't even put my confusion into words hahahaha.

Is it SMTP server that uses sendmail or sendmail uses an SMTP server???

PHPMAILER doesn't need an SMTP server name?

OK, I've just googled PHPMAILERHOST and see "confusing" a few times. I will follow it from here for now.

mail() should be functional; if mail() is returning true then your next step
in the debug process would be to check the mail logs, if they are
accessible to you.

Well, I am glad you agree!

no access that I know of.
No telnet.
and
no helpful replies from the staff, ever
and
No PHPINFO and no echo of even what Apache server version I am using (see blocked info in my post above) RANT: I could put just this whole project aside by just using an old v. simple emaillist program that uses mail().! I'm about to give up here.

On the other hand, using an SMTP class will give you a bit more
functionality.

I'll check SMTP classes out. Thank you.