Re: switch case madness

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 23:39, Joshua Kehn <josh.kehn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why not use one of the countless, not to mention secure and stable cookie management systems available? If it's an exercise cool, I misunderstood.
>
> I'm not one to normally shun people rolling their own code, lord knows I've done it more then once or twice, but there are some things I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pool, and cookie management is one of them. The other would be things like CSV parsers or text manipulations.

    The use of existing packages is so increasingly prevalent that I
have the unfortunate displeasure of knowing many "developers" who do
nothing but this, yet who can't even answer simple questions about
general coding, and who cry and complain that a "previous developer"
must have borked something.  I think Donovan is right on track here
--- he's just getting started, and challenging himself to learn the
language at a deeper level.  That will make him a developer, not just
a copy-and-paster.

    I do see from where it is you're coming, though, Josh --- once
you've gotten the fundamentals, a lot of times it's easier - sometimes
even a better idea - to use an existing, mature solution.  What helps
you to determine its value from a code standpoint?  Your existing
experience.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager