Re: PHP tutorials

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 01:26:07PM -0500, tedd wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> In the past we talked about PHP tutorials, but I don't remember if
> there was a single clearinghouse/link for them or not -- is there
> one? If not, what do you recommend?
>
> Disclaimer: This is a clear solicitation by me for help with my PHP
> class. I will be teaching this class at my local college starting
> this semester. Please realize this is the first time my local college
> has considered PHP anything of importance.
>
> In the past, the college has been totally ingrained in .NET (i.e.,
> APS, VB, C#). They believe their focus should be teaching students
> what the Corporate World wants and those needs have been defined by
> the State of Michigan and General Motors. Considering that neither of
> those institutions are financially solvent, other avenues are being
> considered.
>
> I know I can Google for "PHP tutorials", but I am looking for
> recommendations from this list as to which tutorials/references are
> the best.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't simply take one of the basic books on PHP
(like an O'Reilly) and simply follow along with how it approaches the
subject.

You might also investigate a kid named Bucky Roberts on Youtube. His
channel on Youtube is:

http://youtube.com/user/thenewboston

He has tutorials on a wide variety of languages, including PHP. Check
the playlists link on his home page (above) and look for the PHP
tutorials playlist. It appears that he doesn't do a complete work-up of
the whole language (I haven't watched the PHP tutorials), but the other
stuff he's done seems pretty basic and thorough.

If you decide to do your own video tutorials, I'd strongly suggest
hosting them at Youtube. Let them worry about traffic, bandwidth, etc.

I'd also suggest students make heavy use of the php.net/manual/en/ tree,
since (as has been frequently noted) it's some of the best programming
language documentation on the web.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster