Re: email list 101

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:09:03AM -0500, Kirk Bailey wrote:

> So, in php, I want a program to handle sending out a mail list. All this
> is going to do is be a filter to exclude non subscribers, and send a
> copy to every person in the subscriber file. This is pretty simple in
> python, but this is not my mother tounge we speak here, so let's talk in
> php instead.
>
> If the submission does not come from a member, the script simply aborts.
> So the script should read the subscriber file, and if the source From:
> does not appear there, DIE. If it is there, walk the array and send a
> copy there, then end.
>
> Now how to do this in php? Is there an off the shelf solution?

There are some non-obvious issues, like throttling, which would attach
to this kind of project. Failure to consider them all might sink you.

If you simply wanted to be able to send emails from you to a bunch of
people on a list, I'd suggest PHPList. But if you want anyone to be able
to submit those emails, I'd suggest either Majordomo (Perl) or Mailman
(Python). If there's a comparable PHP solution, I'm not aware of it.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com