Re: Array Symbol Suggestion

On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:23 PM, sono-io@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses to my suggestion.  I realize this would be a major change, so that's why I also mentioned it as an addition to the language.
>
> I'm sure it's just what you're used to, but still being new to all this, it just makes sense (to me anyway) to have different symbols for different variable types:
> $scalar
> @array
> #hash
>
> Since the @ sign is already reserved, maybe there's another symbol that would work better?  I don't know.  These are just ideas that I came up with while reading and I thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought.
>
> I like the idea of a naming convention, so that's what I'll do in my scripts.  I also appreciate the heads up on is_string(), is_array(), and var_dump().
>
> Thanks again,
> Marc
> --

This would make sense to me for a compiled or strongly typed language, but no other language (that I've know of) uses this format. I haven't used Perl.

In a dynamically typed language you normally have duck typed variables.

# Python
a = "Hello"
b = 12

// JavaScript
a = "Hello";
b = 12;
c = [1, 2, 3];

// PHP
$a = "Hello";
$b = 12;
$c = array(1, 2, 3);

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question?

Regards,

-Josh