Re: Re: Help: Validate Domain Name by Regular Express

At 11:57 AM -0500 1/10/11, Steve Staples wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 11:39 -0500, tedd wrote:

 >>>http://xn--19g.com

on my Ubuntu box, I can copy and past the ? (square-root) character and
it displays properly in he address bar on google chome, but it
translates it back to the http://xn--19g.com and doesn't show anything
else (well... the page loads...LOL)

so did you register the xn--19q.com address knowing that it would
work/translate to ?.com (square-root) ?

--

Steve Staples

Steve:

When I was associated with the IDNS WG (not a member), there came a time where the "powers that be" wanted to "try out" their solutions, namely PUNYCODE. As such, we were allowed to register IDNS domain names on a trial basis. The conditions of the trial were that we could register any IDNS we wanted (at $100 a pop) and if at anytime over the following year our names caused problems, then we would forfeit our names without compensation. In short, a $100 per-name bet!

At that time, I registered almost 30 names. Fortunately, all of my names passed and I was permitted to keep them. Unfortunately, all browser manufactures (except Safari) negated some of the work done by the IDNS WG and as a result PUNYCODE is shown instead of the actual characters intended.

I continue to hold on to my domain names because I believe that the PUNYCODE problem will be resolved someday and my single character domain names will be valuable. Please realize that single character ASCII characters are estimated to sell for over a million dollars each -- you may want to review this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/28/tech/main1080245.shtml

In any event, this is out of the main stream of PHP. However, it should just be noted that Unicode characters, which started this thread, are very involved and many software manufactures are not implementing solutions correctly. In contrast, the PHP community has provided numerous Multibyte String Functions (mb_) for dealing with Unicode. So, our PHP applications can correctly deal with what Unicode provides that are far exceed simple ASCII.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------