Re: Re: Help: Validate Domain Name by Regular Express

At 11:41 AM -0600 1/9/11, Donovan Brooke wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:58, tedd<tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

For example --

http://xn--19g.com

-- is square-root dot com. In all browsers except Safari...

but yes, the actual square root character appears in safari only.

Interesting!
Donovan

Donovan:

Yes, Safari shows ALL Unicode Code-Points (i.e., Characters) as they were intended.

Here's a couple of examples:

http://xn--u2g.com

http://xn--w4h.com

Interesting enough, the above characters cannot be typed directly from a key-board, but are shown correctly by a Browser.

However as I said, these can only be seen correctly by the Safari browser. If you use IE, then the URL's will be shown as PUNYCODE -- M$ has a "better idea".

What I also find interesting is that there are no restrictions for using IDNS names in email addresses. However, even Apple's Mail program restricts these to standard ASCII.

IOW, an email address of tedd@?.com is perfectly legal (and will work), but no email application will allow it.

Cheers,

tedd
--