Re: Newbie Question

On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:50 PM, <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The question was "The .php extension is a requirement?"
>
> The answer is no.
>
> While me and Ash may completely disagree on the php parser, the simple answer is there are many ways around running a non .php extension file in php.
>

> mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess files are interpreted for each request and CAN slow down things if your traffic is high.
>
> Having said that, mod_rewrite in httpd.conf is faster because it is compiled at server restart and it is native to the server.
>
> As a beginner, I completely agree with ash on bad practice rule of thumb. You will simply rewrite the html file later on wishing you had never did the hack to make it function.
>
> Richard L. Buskirk

> Sorry, here is the code. The .php extension is a requirement? Can't it b embedded on a .html file?

_This_ question when asked from a beginner requires a non-confusing answer of "yes."

> Can't it be embedded on a .html file?

PHP is always embedded alongside HTML code within <?php ?> tags. It's not embedded inside a .html file as the extension should indicate the file type. Adding a mod_rewrite rule (as you suggest) can lead to confusion later on in development. At the very least you'll look stupid re-asking "Can't it be embedded..."

Regards,

-Josh
Joshua Kehn | Josh.Kehn@xxxxxxxxx
http://joshuakehn.com