RE: Newbie Question

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 11:48 -0500, admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Add this to your .htaccess file and HTML files will be handled like PHP
> files allowing you put PHP in HTML files.
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
>

> Richard L. Buskirk

It's really best not to think about embedding PHP in an HTML file, as
that isn't really how it works and it just encourages bad practices.
HTML is embedded inside PHP files, not the other way around. The PHP
parser interprets all the PHP code and creates the necessary output, and
passes that output along with any HTML to the web server to then deliver
to the client (browser). If you embedded PHP inside HTML files, the web
server would have to call up the PHP parser every time you broke in and
out of PHP tags, which wouldn't do at all!

I wouldn't recommend having .html parsed as PHP though, as it will slow
down your website/application unnecessarily for any .html files that
contain no PHP code, as PHP still has to parse the file for any code,
even if there is none. Leave .html files for static pages that you
produce with a PHP app for example, or use MOD_REWRITE to reference PHP
scripts when certain .html files are requested by the browser, as this
can be a whole lot more specific and selective and won't introduce
problems later on.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk