Re: PDO: good, popular?

On Dec 14, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Govinda wrote:

>> In previous experience with questions such as these, you will get
>> several types of individual responses to usages of the software. Some
>> good, some bad, depending on the experience level of the commenter
>> with both the language and the code in question.
>>
>> It's a combination of your current understanding of php and the
>> associated usages of other languages, and what you want to know.
>>
>> Don't trust what people say, trust what feels right at the current
>> time of your usage of the php library available/your experience level,
>> and what you currently know how to use.
>>
>> From my experience with several languages, once you know the basics,
>> even if you do re-invent the 'wheel', so did firestone,michelin, and
>> goodyear, and they're not complaining. And you'll feel better for
>> reinventing, than using someone elses.
>

> I think this ^^^ advice is brilliant, understated; nothing replaces integration of one's own thorough understanding.

> Govinda
> govinda(DOT)webdnatalk(AT)gmail(DOT)com

@the OP

I absolutely agree.

One-thousand people will miraculously come up with two-thousand opinions on PDO and similar tools. PDO is only one of many, many tools in your toolbox.

At the end of the day - get ahold of PDO, mess around with it a bit, read some docs, etc.. See what you can do with it, then see if it was worth the learning curve and how you can leverage your newly found knowledge on your next project. Then, drop it like it's hot when you don't need it. No need to jam a square peg in a round hole. Whip out your pocket knife and make a round peg for a nice snug fit. After all, that's why you carry a pocket knife - right?

If it feels good - do it.