Re: PDO: good, popular?

On 14 December 2010 11:10, Sam Smith <apps@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Searching for "PHP CRUD" in hopes of learning the best way to access
> databases and to use PEAR or what I came across PDO.
>
> I want to know the communities opinion of PDO: everyone uses it or no one
> uses it or it's great or what?
>
> Thanks

If you are developing code for a single database and you are really,
really sure you're not going to ever use another DB, then maybe PDO is
an unnecessary layer.

If you are developing code which has to remain compatible across
multiple DBs, then PDO would, on the surface, seem like a good idea.
The downside though is that PDO still requires DB specific drivers.

I only work on 1 DB (MS SQL). So, I don't use PDO.

>From http://docs.php.net/manual/en/intro.pdo.php :

"PDO provides a data-access abstraction layer, which means that,
regardless of which database you're using, you use the same functions
to issue queries and fetch data. PDO does not provide a database
abstraction; it doesn't rewrite SQL or emulate missing features. You
should use a full-blown abstraction layer if you need that facility."

Richard.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend