RE: I am a Windows programmer and getting started on PHP

Personally, I would avoid XAMP and those hacks to run apache and PHP on
your XP (or vista or win7 or whatever). I'd say the vast majority of PHP
developers are LAMP developers so get used to Linux at least enough to move
around the file-system and know where to put files (/var/www/ or
~/public_html etc). With that in mind, I would look for either a pre-built
VM. VirtualBox is free and VERY easy/robust. Also VMWare is outstanding and
they have a free "player" and eight bajillion pre-made VM appliance setups:

http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.munkyonline.com/articles/lamp-ubuntu-server-on-virtualbox.html

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/0?k=lamp

I also strongly suggest you setup your VM to use samba shares so it's easy
to edit/save/view your files without some tedious FTP or SCP step.

-Daevid.

P.S. I'd also limit your email subject lines to a simple sentence or less.
Not a paragraph!