RE: I am a Windows programmer and getting started on PHP. What is the easiest way of getting started? Most of the stuff I encounter seems to be very Linux specific.

It would help if you're more specific on your objective.  If you want to get started on developing projects based on PHP but you're using Windows, like myself, then you'll need to learn how set it up for Windows, either for IIS or Apache httpd.  Thereafter, deployment platform target is irrelevant except where your project(s) use platform specific extensions such as Wincache or IIS.  However, if you want to develop PHP extensions specifically for Windows, you're better off asking in the windows list (php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Regards,
Tommy