Re: Template engines

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM, David McGlone <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 16:51 -0500, Steve Staples wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 14:41 -0700, Hansen, Mike wrote:
> > > I really like the idea of using a templating engine. Which one do you
> use? Why? For those that don't use templating engines, why don't you use
> them?
> > >

> > for the longest time, i didn't know about them, and was breaking in and
> > out of php, as well as didn't use ANY classes... then i was starting to
> > play with phpbb, and found out a little about templates... so i
> > "borrowed" the template engine from them for a personal project... and
> > was pretty impressed.
> >
> > then shortly after that, i got a job with a company who used smarty
> > templates... and was VERY impressed with them :)  ever since then, i've
> > been using smarty, and have been very happy since.
> >
> > I dont know of any others out there, but that is mostly becuase i am
> > content with what smarty does for me (and prolly becuase i am too lazy
> > to change now ;) )
> >
> > all of my projects now consist of smarty, pear mdb2, phpmailer, jquery,
> > fpdf (if needed), and pchart (again, if needed).   these are my personal
> > choices, and I have been happy with them so far ;)
>
> I agree 100%!! Everyone here pretty much knows how much I've ranted
> about smarty :-)
>
> IMHO it's smart to use smarty! ;-)
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.
>

> --

I have to agree with David here.  Smarty may be an added layer to the whole
mix, but it makes maintaining the template and application much simpler.
 Much better than mixing html/php all together in a single file.  That and a
single template is easily used in multiple applications if needed, ore in
multiple files within the same application.  IMHO the benefits far out way
the negatives of using a template engine.