Re: read smb drive

On 5 November 2010 16:30, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Steve Staples <sstaples@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> this

>> the

>> > is there any reason the php application code has to be responsible for
>> > mounting the network drive?
>> >
>> > typically this is an os-level responsibility.
>> >
>> > -nathan
>>
>> this is true, but i am looking at mounting it, reading the contents,
>> maybe moving a file to it, or renaming a file... and then closing the
>> smb share.
>>
>> i have thought abotu making it a requirement on the users end to have
>> the directory ready for the application... but thought also about maybe
>> giving them the option to connect to it and do what it has to do, then
>> close it...
>>
>> i've been doing it the second way, but was wondering if the first was a
>> viable option or not.
>

> hmm, yeah im not sure if theres a clean mounting interface between windows
> and linux. Âthe nomenclature is different for one, and im not even sure how
> to mount a network drive programmatically under windows. Âmaybe someone else
> on the list does.
>
> -nathan

You don't need to "mount" the share. If the share is available, then
you can access using UNC ...

\\server\share\directory\file.ext is fine.
Or
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share\directory\file.ext

But watch out ... in PHP, you'll need to either use / or \\ for each \
in the UNC path ...

\\\\server\\share\\directory\\file.ext is fine.
Or
//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share/directory/file.ext

If you do really need to map it, then

net use x: \\server\share

and

net use x: /d

to drop the mapping.

But you don't need to mount the share if the server with

Is this not the same on unix?

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend