Re: read smb drive

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 10:06 -0600, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Steve Staples <sstaples@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys (and gals)
> >
> > I am writing something that needs to connect to a SMB server... can this
> > be done easliy?
> >
> > I copied a sample code from php.net that used the system() command and
> > mounted the SMB to a /mnt/tmp partion, and technically, it works.... the
> > problem is, is that mount has to be run as root...
> >
> > is there a way to put the "mount/unmount" commands into an allowed
> > command?   i supposed, the other problem is, is waht if this is on a
> > windows machine?
> >
> > i dont really want to mess with permissions too much, since this will
> > have to be portable from linux to windows...   any help would be
> > appreciated...
> >

> is there any reason the php application code has to be responsible for
> mounting the network drive?
>
> typically this is an os-level responsibility.
>
> -nathan

this is true, but i am looking at mounting it, reading the contents,
maybe moving a file to it, or renaming a file... and then closing the
smb share.

i have thought abotu making it a requirement on the users end to have
the directory ready for the application... but thought also about maybe
giving them the option to connect to it and do what it has to do, then
close it...

i've been doing it the second way, but was wondering if the first was a
viable option or not.

Steve