PHP sessions - users being automatically logged out

I'm having trouble with a PHP site whereby some users are being logged out on a regular basis. This will usually happen after they have been using the site for a few minutes, they can login without any problems and access a few pages, but then suddenly they will request a page and be sent to the login form, which suggests that their session no longer exists. However, this doesn't affect all users - I can login and use the application without any problems, as can some other users.

According to phpinfo(), the following session values are set (all are what I'd expect - either the default or something I've deliberately changed):

session.auto_start = Off
session.bug_compat_42 = On
session.bug_compat_warn = On
session.cache_expire = 180
session.cache_limiter = nocache
session.cookie_domain = no value
session.cookie_httponly = Off
session.cookie_lifetime = 0
session.cookie_path = /
session.cookie_secure = Off
session.entropy_file = no value
session.entropy_length = 0
session.gc_divisor = 100
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440
session.gc_probability = 1
session.hash_bits_per_character = 4
session.hash_function = 0
session.name = PHPSESSID
session.referer_check = no value
session.save_handler = files
session.save_path = /shared/sessions
session.serialize_handler = php
session.use_cookies = On
session.use_only_cookies = Off
session.use_trans_sid = 0

I've tried checking a few obvious things:

* IP addresses - the site doesn't use the IP address as part of the authentication process, and almost all our users (including the ones experiencing problems) have static IP addresses anyway.

* Number of sessions - there are between 40-60 session files on disk at any one time, so I doubt there's a "maximum number of session files" limit being broken, if such a configuration option exists.

* Permissions - the web server user (www-data) has read/write permissions to the directory where the sessions are stored and all the files within it, and they are all owned by this user.

Is there anything else obvious which could be causing the problem? This seemed to occur when we moved hosts, and I haven't changed the site's session handling code for some time, so I suspect it might be a configuration issue but can't figure out what.

Thanks,

Paul