RE: search is not case insensitive

You could also remove the strtolower().  Just to be sure that field C.description is set with case-insensitive collation, you could use phpMyAdmin to look at the table structure or run SQL 'show create table pbcs_appointment;' on your MySQL tool.  The description column should have *_ci (for case-insensitive whereas *_cs is case-sensitive).

Regards,
Tommy