Re: simple class & constructor

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 04:12:51PM -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been really good at googling to find my answers, but this time my
> method isn't working for me.
>
> I have created a very simple class and a constructor hoping to get a
> much better understanding of how to work with them. The code works, but
> because it's very simple, I'm not sure that the way  I'm trying to
> access it is possible.
>
> All I'm trying to do is "access the class from outside the function".
> (is that how to describe it?)
>
> For instance I have this simple code:
>
> class simpleConstructer {
>
> function __construct() {
>     echo "running the constructor";
> }
> }
>
> $test=new simpleConstructer();

You're trying to "instantiate the class". And the way you're doing it
here is correct. When you do this, $test becomes an object of this
class. If you had another function ("member") within the class called
"myfunction()", you could run it this way (after you instantiate the
class):

$test->myfunction();

> Basically I want to learn how I can (if it's possible with this simple
> code) is display the output on a different page.
>
> I tried putting the line: $test=new simpleConstructer(); on the index
> page and including the page the class is on, but it causes the index
> page to go blank.

You've likely got an error you're not seeing. Fix this first. If the
file your class is in is syntactically correct, and you do

include "simpleConstructerFile.php";

in your index.php file, it should flawlessly include the code. Then, in
your index.php, you do this:

$test = new simpleConstructer;

you should see the contents of the echo statement appear on the page.
So you're on the right track. You just need to find the error first.

> The thought of a session crossed my mind, but I'm pretty confident at my
> level to know I don't need a session.

You're right. Using a session would be completely unnecessary, and I'm
not even sure how it would assist at all.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster