RE: Error message not understood

Forgot to mention something, please don't top post.  It makes hard for
others to follow the thread.

Are you running PHP with IIS or Apache?  If with Apache how are you running
PHP as, CGI or module?  Since you're using official distributions, you'll
have to use PHP VC6 TS build (if not using as CGI/FastCGI) for Apache [1].
If you're running PHP with IIS, you'll have to run NTS build for FastCGI
[2].

[1] http://windows.php.net/downloads/releases/php-5.3.3-Win32-VC6-x86.zip
[2]
http://windows.php.net/downloads/releases/php-5.3.3-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.zip