Re: Text messaging from the web

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Larry Martell
<larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Folks:
>>
>> Being fairly geezerly, I know almost nothing about this, so be gentle.
>>
>> Assuming someone entered information in a form on a website. Normally,
>> you would email the responses to someone. But what if you wanted to
>> send this information to a smartphone via text messaging?
>>
>> Is this possible, given normal programming tools (PHP/Javascript), or
>> would you have to go through some commercial web to text messaging
>> gateway? Does anyone know if this could be done, and how?
>
> You can send a text message via email:
>
>    Verizon: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
>    AT&T: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
>    Sprint: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    T-Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
>    Nextel: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    Cingular: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    Virgin Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
>    Alltel: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    CellularOne: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    Omnipoint: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    Qwest: 10digitphonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> --

Actually email doesn't work reliably with all providers. I was looking
into this for a client project. The main issue is that some providers
require the user to have a data plan since the message will arrive as
email, as opposed to text. The other is that if there is enough
traffic from your site, it may become marked as spam and future
connections will be refused.

The best is to hook up with an SMS provider who can provide the
services at a reasonable cost (cell-trust or click-a-tell) and let
them manage the SMS portion. You then need to code against their
service, which is usually pretty easy

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat