Re: tedd's Friday Post ($ per line)

tedd wrote:
At 4:30 PM +0100 10/8/10, Nathan Rixham wrote:
tedd wrote:
Now, back to the question at hand -- what price would you sell a line of your code for?

Interesting case and question Tedd! Quite sure we all realise the answer is not black and white but various shades of grey, and I wouldn't fancy doing this for real - however, given the assumption that it was technically solid code "average", and assuming it was a functional approach (as in there wasn't chunks of domain schema classes with nothing but getters and setters around / boiler plate junk), then:

  35-40 cents per line

The approach I've taken to working it out is to try and average out lines of code produced per 8 hour working day, allowing time for research, decision making, minor code reduction and refactoring, then adding a small offset for any time spend on documentation which would show further understanding and confidence in the code + make it more usable. Whitespace and a coding styles which produce more lines but the same amount of code not included. I've also made a small adjustment for the 'several years ago' all though I'm assuming this to be early 2000s and not the 1970s ;)

Anywhere near?

ps: tedd, please cc me in to the final answer as I won't have time to check the list for a while, and I'm quite interested in this one - kudos to you if you managed to do it and get both parties happy with the result though!

Best,

Nathan

Nathan et al:

I rechecked my notes and this case took place circa 1996-7. The case was settled out of court.

The final agreement (partly negotiated by me) was $1.00 per line.

The programmer had generated around 25,000 lines of code and the new client agreed that the programmer could keep $25,000 of the up-front money. It seemed like a clean and "easy to understand" arrangement.

I'm actually glad to here of that outcome - in many ways I'd gone with bottom price for general web development, whereas I stated it would be £1 per line for my own code - that said I'd be reluctant to take a per line pricing model ;)

Good question Tedd, I enjoyed this one - particularly as it made one consider the various elements that go in to producing code other than just lines produced.

Cheers,

Nathan

Since that time, I have often looked to my own code to see how that figure holds up. In my most recent work, I was paid around $0.50 per line of code.

Keep in mind that this is for finished and working code and *not* all the code I wrote to investigate/test/solve the various problems. My typical method of problem solving is to write small stand-alone solutions and then move them to the larger project. It is the code in the larger project that's considered in the cost determination.

So for me, about $0.50 per line of code seems to hold up for projects that exceed 100 hours. For projects that are less, the cost per line increases. For example, I had one project where I wrote three lines of code and was paid $200. However, it took me several hours to figure out what to do and where to put the line.

In any event, this is where one statement per line (including braces) pays off.

Cheers,

tedd