Re: Friday's Post

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> What do you people think of the .NET framework?
>
> Please provide your thoughts as to cost, maintenance, benefit, and whatever
> else you think important.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tedd
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/
>
> --
particularly effective, however the toolset is very polished.

Additional costs come into play if you're using ASP.Net, as the servers
require licenses, too.  However ASP.Net MVC represents a significant upgrade
over webforms ASP.Net (I've been developing websites using ASP.Net since
version 1, and I can't begin to count the number of times the markup and
postback model drove me nuts in the webforms version), and I'd have no
problem using ASP.Net MVC for most any web application.  Additionally, I use
Rackspace Cloud for hosting, and it's pretty easy and cheap to spin up a
Windows server when needed.

The .Net technologies all integrate very nicely.  For example, while the new
mobile OS is really late to the party (I'm not sure it will be able to
compete with Android and the iPhone), I can develop software for it using
technologies which would seem very familiar to any web or desktop
application developer.

I particularly appreciate F#, a functional language that looks a lot like
OCaml with a few .Net-centric additions, although C# has made some very nice
improvements that bring functional programming techniques to it language,
too.

That all said, I still use PHP for most of my web projects.  Why?  PHP is
fast, well-supported, cheap, and I like the community, although some
projects do seem to benefit from .Net (e.g., if web services are interacting
with a desktop app, it's easier to just build the whole thing using .Net
technologies.)

I could see the day when anything I would normally do in Flash is switched
over to Silverlight.  I just find it a better conceived development
environment for RIA than Flash.

Adam

--
Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com