Re: Domain Controller Discovery in PHP

On 10-09-28 04:03 AM, Jason wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I've checked a couple of windows machines (which I admit I had assumed you were running php on) and the ENV variable "USERDNSDOMAIN" is definitely what you need. If your php is running on linux, you'll need to find out the target windows domain some other way (user input/config file maybe?).
>
> The article is a Win2k based one - there is a link to the XP one in the top-right corner. However I read both and things haven't changed from a DNS point of view.
>
> Here's a code snippet for you (run on my network from a windows workstation)...
>
> <?php
> # assume $_SERVER["USERDNSDOMAIN"] is equal to "xxx.local".
>
> print_r( dns_get_record("_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.".$_SERVER["USERDNSDOMAIN"],DNS_SRV) );
> ?>
>
> And the output (edited for obvious reasons):
>
> Array
> (
>     [0] => Array
>         (
>             [host] => _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.xxx.local
>             [type] => SRV
>             [pri] => 0
>             [weight] => 100
>             [port] => 389
>             [target] => dc2.xxx.local
>             [class] => IN
>             [ttl] => 545
>         )
>
>     [1] => Array
>         (
>             [host] => _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.xxx.local
>             [type] => SRV
>             [pri] => 0
>             [weight] => 100
>             [port] => 389
>             [target] => dc1.xxx.local
>             [class] => IN
>             [ttl] => 545
>         )
>
> )

Hi Jason,

Your assumption was right, I am on a windows machine, Windows Server 2003. I think I understand the problem better now though from your example. We're currently using PHP 5.2.12 (with an update imminent), but this doesn't come with dns_get_record() which became available for Windows with the 5.3.0 branch. That may account for the missing USERDNSDOMAIN entry. I'm currently pulling the info using an exec() and nslookup:

    nslookup -type=SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.%userdnsdomain%

It's not optimal, but it appears to suffice until we upgrade to the 5.3 branch.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.