Re: Database Administration

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Tom Barrett <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> I'm not actually that familiar with DB admin to that extent. I have either
> app users with lock+crud on specific databases, or root. As a an aside,
> would you know if there is a level of permissions for a user between app and
> root that would be 'sensibly secure' (it will be MySQL 5)?

It depends on the app, but phrases like 'sensibly secure' raise
caution flags for me.

I tend to go with the principle of least privilege. Where I currently
work, the admin functions for a web application are usually on an
intranet site that is completely separate from the public site.
Because of this, I have a different database user for each site. In
this case, these are database-only logins unrelated in any way to the
actual machine account used by the web servers.

On our newer development, nearly all table access is managed strictly
through stored procedures (we use SQL Server, but the same would work
for MySQL if you were so inclined), and each database user is only
granted execute permission on the specific procedures necessary for
that role. The only time we grant access directly to a table is in
cases where we just can't get a procedure to do what we need
efficiently or effectively. And, in those cases where I do need to
grant access to a table, I grant permission to only the
columns/operations necessary for that user.

If I encountered a case where I needed to allow a user to make schema
changes as you mentioned in your original post, I would create a
totally separate account -- again with no more permission than
necessary for its intended task. Depending on the needs of the
application, I'd decide whether that account was used by the web
server or via a script scheduled to execute at intervals as several
others have suggested in this thread.

I've not tried this, but you could probably write the logic needed to
create the database objects into a stored procedure. Then, you might
only need to grant permission to that procedure and not grant
permission to CREATE/ALTER anything. That would pretty well guarantee
that the only objects created are the ones you intended.

Andrew