RE: 1984 (Big Brother)

You sure know how to pick'em Tedd.

This is the second "whacky" client you've posted about on the list...

This guy sounds like a real control-freak (read: tool).

One other thing I'll throw out is the use of a crontab to start/stop mysql
during "boss's hours". I don't have a complete solution for you as I just
don't care enough about helping this Dbag lord over his employees like
that, but I suspect you could have "/etc/init.d/mysql start" or "stop" at
some pre-determined times like 8am - noon. Then noon till 5pm. Or
something.

RDBMS are not really designed to be turned on and off like that.

Another option is to maybe use M$ Access instead (which does have a
multi-user mode). Use ODBC to connect via PHP to it. So then he would start
up the DB when he likes and shut it down when he likes. (note that a logout
of Windows will NOT prevent the ODBC connection as it is a service -- as
God intended RDBMS to be)
http://www.configure-all.com/php_access.php

This guy is making me angry just thinking about it!