Re: Secure Communication?

Hi tedd!

Reading this thread I assume you are doing RPC stuff when you are expressing
yourself as "the access" to database, which normaly describes direct access
to database.

In your case, you should divide the phrase "hacked server" into two separate
types of incidents (let's talk about your "master" server here):
1) server gets cracked and your code gets exposed in read only mode
2) server gets cracked and cracker can modify your code
(read the definitions of hacker vs cracker for further communication:)

In case 2) there is not much you can do, because they have everything they
need to access database in a fashion of their desire.
However, in a case 1) your protection works fine. But it is wheel
reinvented, for 99% of a population. Why?

When most of people are thinking of security, one of the first thoughts is
getting off shared hosting. When you do that, all you need to set up is two
way SSL authentication and IP checking. Which could be done without the RPC
layer (for example MySQL can check cert against with host IP, cert against
CA and CN checking and all).

Anyway, what you are trying to achieve is to connect two systems which are
shared hosting based. In this case your solution is somehow "secure", if
there is such a thing. That means that it is secure by it's nature. But what
you have to be careful about is implementation and things that are out of
scope of setup you have described.
One possible breach of your "secure" setup is here: on your master server
(shared hosting) HTTP server runs PHP scripts as single user (usually
www-data, www or nobody). Your script HAS to have writable permissions to
folder where it publishes tokens. Should malicious user have an account on
the very same machine, she can also put files in folder where only you
should be able to do so. This way, she can publish token, request stuff from
your database and decrypt it using your keys.

I hope I have understood your intentions correctly. Best regards,
b.

PS: Probability of hacked server.
>From my experience majority of successfull breaches come from 3 methods (in
order of decreasing frequency):
- password collection with viruses/trojans and such (operates against client
machine)
- stupid users writing passwords all around (post-it, forwarded email, etc)
and/or social engineering (operates against user)
- brute force password guessing (operates against server)
Only tiny fraction of breaches are whole servers being hacked/rooted.