RE: Web application architecture (subdomain vs. sub directory)

I started out not using a framework... then I started at a company who used a "zend" like framework, worked there for a bit, then moved on, and started using cake...

I found that they were great for what they are... but really simplified things too much, so I created my own framework, incorporating the classes that I use all the time (smarty/fpdf/jquery/tinymce), and with that, I learned a LOT about how things really worked.

I would suggest looking at the core of the frameworks to see how things are put together, and how they really work... but maybe make one that is more custom to your application?

As for subdomain vs subdirectory, if your using SSL, then you would need a wildcard SSL which is usually more money.  Eitherway you choose, you will have to program around it.  The app that I created uses subdomains, because we were using CA SSL Certs, and the clients preferred to have their own IP's... long story, not my call, I just program it :P

Steven Staples