Re: Web application architecture (subdomain vs. sub directory)

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 13:45 -0500, Tim Martens wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> New to the list. Hello!
>
> I'm in the customer discovery phase for a Health IT web application concept
> I have. My programmer is new to web apps, but not to programming and is set
> up with LAM(PHP). We're still debating weather to use a framework or to go
> with Rasmus's "no framework framework" approach.
>
> Language/Framework decisions aside... my main question is about subdomain (
> customerx.appname.com vs subdirectory (appname.com/customerx/) models for
> instances of individual customers' accounts.
>
> It seems most people are opting for the former -- is this but a trebd? --
> but I see flickr use the latter. The guys at Particletree (i.e., Wufoo)
> wrote a blog post about it (
> http://particletree.com/notebook/subdomains-development-sucks/) years ago to
> which they still attest.
>
> They say the subdirectory model is much easier and faster to develop and
> deploy. We are developing locally on our macs and will be using
> Mecurial/Bitbucket for CVS.
>
> I'm really lost on this issue as all my searches turn up stuff on SEO/SEM.
> Is one approach easier that the other? What about security and scalability
> considerations? I would very much appreciate your opinions as to the pros
> and cons of each approach.
>
> As an aside, does anyone have some advice about rapid PHP deployment, i.e.,
> pushing new features to production daily in micro iterations vs the typical
> milestone approach? Are there any good tools for this? What about hosts?
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Tim

If you're new to PHP, I would recommend not using a framework for the
experience you will gain with the language, as a framework will tend to
hide away certain caveats and peculiarities of PHP which could lead to
issues further down the line. Most people I know who are great PHP
programmers have tended to start without frameworks at first.

Having said that, if you're looking for a rapid deployment with a
shorter learning curve, then a framework might be better in this
situation.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk