Re: the state of the PHP community

On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:32 AM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Thanks for taking the time - comments in-line from here :)
>
> Josh Kehn wrote:
>> Java, JS (in the form of Node and MongoDB, +raw client / jQuery stuff) and PHP get used regularly. Python / Ruby infrequently.
>
> With true confirmation bias - great to see you mentioning node.js, have a universal language / syntax for programming is critical moving forwards. I've been 'playing' with node for a while now myself, added an upgrade to handle client side ssl certificates properly and expose needed values recently, and currently working on making tabulator's rdflib work on both client and server (i.e., porting it to node amongst other things).

I haven't gone that far with Node yet, someone is writing an email server though. I hated JS for many (I believe good) reasons for a long time. I felt it was a client side showy gimmick. I do server side development. Why should I know the eight or nine different DOM structures? Leave that to designers I said!

Once you get past the syntax it is an incredibly powerful language. There are faults (come on, it fails silently!) but proper understanding negates these for the most part. Another thing to note is how incredibly flexible it is. Node / Mongo both make use of JS syntax (albeit with their own unique "flavor") but it all boils down to a very simple, elegant, system.

> MongoDB I managed to bypass somewhere, I quickly migrated past NoSQL and on to triple/quad store(s) - again for universality reasons, on the path to a full embrace of N3. This said, I should probably give some more weight to MongoDB, certainly with it's json friendly-ness I can see how it could fit in to my preferred tech stack.

MongoDB is a bit unique. I've only been working with it for a few months now but it really is something to keep an eye out for. If you prefer traditional "SQL" also take a look at VoltDB.

>> Started with QBasic and realized it was crap. Moved on to Java, realized object rock but J2EE doesn't. Moved to PHP / Java.
>
> QBasic was crap lol, that was my first language after playing with .bat files!

I'm not sure if I did bat files first, but I do remember playing with Win95 assembler. It's a miracle I'm not scarred for life.

>> http://www.mongodb.org/
>> http://nodejs.org/
>> See http://joshuakehn.com/blog/index.php/blog/view/28/MongoDB-Node-js/
>
> Nice blog, subscribed - used to do my braces the same as you then reverted back to putting them EOL, will comment on your blog with reasons why.

If the comments don't work let me know. That's a basic blogging engine I wrote with CI, it's in desperate need of some help.

> Also, golf-code! that had escaped my radar somehow, looks like I can waste a few hours with that one - love it.
>

>> I haven't gotten flashed on any PHP meetups, but I wouldn't shy away from them.
>
> Here in Scotland I read that as "I haven't had anybody flash their genitals at me on any PHP meetups, but I wouldn't shy away from them" - thus, lol!

LOL would be the correct reaction to that!

>>> Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts, or standardization bodies - again, if so which?
>> None that I recall.
>>> Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your boat right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?
>> Node, Mongo. I'm also watching a couple git repos, memcached and scribe to name two. Some stuff I just can't be involved in (C / C++ dev is tricky when you work with Java / PHP).
>
> another +1 for git, makes life easier, will hunt you down and see what you're all following (other than memcached and scribe).

If you go to my root site I believe I have a link.