Re: the state of the PHP community

On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:36 AM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I find myself wondering about the state of the PHP community (and related community with a PHP focus), so, here's a bunch of questions - feel free to answer none to all of them, on list or off, or add more of your own - this isn't for anything specific, just out of interest and sure I (and everybody who reads the replies) will learn something + doors/options/contacts may come of it. The only thing I can guarantee is that I'm genuinely interested in every reply and will read every one of them + lookup every tech and link mentioned.
>
> in no particular order:
>
> What other languages and web techs do you currently use other than PHP?
> - if you include html or css please include version, if js then preferred libs, and whether client or server side.

Java, JS (in the form of Node and MongoDB, +raw client / jQuery stuff) and PHP get used regularly. Python / Ruby infrequently.

> What's your previous language/tech trail?

Started with QBasic and realized it was crap. Moved on to Java, realized object rock but J2EE doesn't. Moved to PHP / Java.

http://www.mongodb.org/
http://nodejs.org/

See http://joshuakehn.com/blog/index.php/blog/view/28/MongoDB-Node-js/

> Is PHP your hobby/interest, primary development language, just learning or?

Primary dev, hobby, interest, all of the above?

> How many years have you been using PHP regularly?

More then five, but it's really hard to say when it stopped being just a language and the primary.

> How many years have you been working with web technologies?

More then eight, though I remember HTML when tables were used for everything and spacer gifs were *the* thing.

> Did you come from a non-web programming background?

Yes, primarily Java.

> Is your primary role web developer or designer?

Developer. I couldn't design if you paid me my weight in gold.

> In your developer life, are you an employer, and employee, contractor, freelancer, part of a team of equal standing members?

Contractor / freelancer / employee / employer. Currently teaming up with a friend.

> Do you tend to work on jobs for geo-local clients, clients in the same country, or do you work internationally 'on the web'?

I like to work in person, but sometimes that doesn't work. I have done international work before.

> How do you get your projects? do they come to you, word of mouth, do you hunt and bid for projects, code call, visit clients, target clients individually you think you can help, or?
> - not looking for trade secrets, just to get enough for an overall picture.

Word of mouth mostly.

> Do you have any frustrations with the PHP community, do you find you want to talk shop but can't, or find people to work with but can't, have projects in mind you want to do but can't find people to do them with etc?

Not particularly.

> Do you network with other PHP'ers in real life - meetups etc, do you tend to shy away, or do you find you circulate in other web related but non PHP focussed communities?

I haven't gotten flashed on any PHP meetups, but I wouldn't shy away from them.

> Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts, or standardization bodies - again, if so which?

None that I recall.

> Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your boat right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?

Node, Mongo. I'm also watching a couple git repos, memcached and scribe to name two. Some stuff I just can't be involved in (C / C++ dev is tricky when you work with Java / PHP).