Re: Serial Numbers

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 15:17 -0400, Floyd Resler wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Gary wrote:
>
> > I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this.  I have created a
> > Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I manage, for visitors
> > to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently a .png, however
> > I was planning on converting to a pdf.  I would like to put on the coupon a
> > serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is viewed. I dont
> > really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
> >
> > Is this possible and could someone give me some help?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Is there any particular reason you need it to be a PDF?  If not and the GD library is installed in your PHP, I would suggest using the GD library to draw your serial number on the coupon.  As for keeping track of the counter I would do it either in a database table or save the number to file.
>
> Take care,
> Floyd

I can think of a good reason for making it as a PDF. A PDF is built for
printing to scale exactly as you need, whereas a bitmap is very
different. Traditionally, GD creates screen images, which are 72dpi,
whereas print usually uses 300dpi bitmaps, and they generally don't
scale well.

Having said that, writing it in GD will be a fair bit easier!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk