Re: HTML in emails

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:44:29PM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

<snip>

>    It is nice to be able to format emails nicely, but you have to realise
>    when to restrain yourself. I've been getting loads of emails from Adobe
>    lately that haven't been formatted well at all, and appear awfully in my
>    email client (Evolution, which I consider to be a very good client) until
>    I download all the images they've used as backgrounds. It's situations
>    like this that give HTML emails an awful name.

Isn't this a popular exploit these days? I don't really watch these
things since I use Linux and view mail as straight text. But isn't there
some current exploit where images which can be downloaded as part of an
email actually contain code which can be used to sniff your system or
somesuch?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster