HTML in emails

I know this is a bit off-topic; but close enough.

I'm starting to update the email feature of one of my DB applications and noticed that it appears most of the fancy emails I receive are using just plain old, simple html pages, with a note about not being able to see, go here with a link.

It use to be that we specified content-type text/html, etc. and sent both the plain ASCII and the html with boundaries and so forth.

Seems like, from my preliminary Google searching, I should not waste time with the standard's way and just go straight to sending simple html pages since all modern browsers handle it well. And, it appears to be the way web is going.

What are you folks doing?