Re: Date Conversion Problem

On 17 June 2010 13:35, David Stoltz <Dstoltz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> PHP newbie here...
>

> I have some PHP code writing the date/time into a MS SQL 2000 database
> like this:
>

> date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A')
>

> So the text it writes into the DB is like: Thursday 15th of April 2010
> 10:13:42 AM
>

> The database field is defined as varchar, not datetime...so it's a
> string essentially...
>

> How in the world do I do a date conversion on this? I've tried things
> like:
>

> select * from table where convert(datetime,fieldname) >= '6/10/2010'
>
> (where fieldname is the string in question)
>

> Which results in "Syntax error converting datetime from character
> string."
>

> So I guess I have two questions:
>

> 1)      Can I write a SQL query that will convert this properly into a
> datetime?
>
> 2)      If not, I guess I'll need to change the code to write the date
> differently into the system, how should this statement be changed to
> allow for proper conversion? date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A')
>

> Thanks for any help!

Under normal conditions, you would store the date in a datetime
column. That allows you to do all the date range work in the DB.

When you display the date, you would use PHP's date() function for
format it appropriately.

date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A', $row['fieldname']);

sort of thing.

--
-----
Richard Quadling