RE: Date Conversion Problem

I would agree with you, but I have no control on inherited web apps.

I now need to concentrate on trying to fix this.

From: Ashley Sheridan [mailto:ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:38 AM
To: David Stoltz
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PHP] Date Conversion Problem

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 08:35 -0400, David Stoltz wrote:

PHP newbie here...

I have some PHP code writing the date/time into a MS SQL 2000 database
like this:

date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A')

So the text it writes into the DB is like: Thursday 15th of April 2010
10:13:42 AM

The database field is defined as varchar, not datetime...so it's a
string essentially...

How in the world do I do a date conversion on this? I've tried things
like:

select * from table where convert(datetime,fieldname) >= '6/10/2010'

(where fieldname is the string in question)

Which results in "Syntax error converting datetime from character
string."

So I guess I have two questions:

1)      Can I write a SQL query that will convert this properly into a
datetime?

2)      If not, I guess I'll need to change the code to write the date
differently into the system, how should this statement be changed to
allow for proper conversion? date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A')

Thanks for any help!

It's best to store the date as a date rather than a string, as it avoids the sorts of problems you're seeing now.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk