Re: Convert UTF-8 to PHP defines

And I need(ed) this stuff especially for non-ASCII characters like Chinese,
Arabic and stuff :)

"Ashley Sheridan" <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 12:08 -0400, Adam Richardson wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Guus Ellenkamp
> <Ellenkamp_Guus@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but are you sure of that? I did some research a while ago and
> > found
> > that officially PHP files should be ascii and not have any specific
> > character encoding. I believe it will work anyhow (did not try this
> > one),
> > but would like to stick with the standards.
> >
> > "Ashley Sheridan" <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > define('definetext1',chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> > >>
> > define('definetext2,chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));

> > > PHP files can contain utf-8, and in-fact is the preference of most
> > > developers I know of.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> > >

> > --
> >

> Because the lower range of UTF-8 matches the ascii character set
> (intentionally by design), you'll be able to use UTF-8 for PHP files
> without
> problem (i.e., ascii 7-bit chars have same encoding in UTF-8.)
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
>
> However, if you were to use any of the multibyte characters of UTF-8 in a
> PHP file, you could run in to some trouble.  I use UTF-8 for most of my
> PHP
> files, but I've been sticking to the ASCII subset exclusively.
>
> Adam

I don't use the higher range of characters often, but I do sometimes use
them for things like the graphical glyphs (½??, etc) I know I could do
those with regular text and the Wingdings font, but that's not available
on every computer, and breaks the semantic meaning behind the glyphs.